Thursday, June 12, 2008

Glorification: A Scary Thought?

How would you define glorification? Not the act of giving God glory, but the third stage of Christian development (justification, sanctification, glorification). One author has stated it this way "Glorification is the completion, the consummation, the perfection, the full realization of salvation." Sounds right. However, I think it is lacking something. It is too final. Will we learn in Heaven when we are glorified? If God is infinite and His knowledge infinite, then I believe we will. And if our knowledge increases, then our love for and appreciation of God will grow, as well. In fact, many aspects of our character will increase in measure. And if this is so, then glorification will not be as finalized as we may have previously thought. The truth is that we will grow in knowledge and holiness forever. Wow! That's awesome! Wow! That's amazing! Wow! That's scary! I have always assumed that we will be perfected in our character and knowledge in an instant. But, the truth is that while we will be rid of our sinful desires, we will continue endlessly to become more like Christ. That's something I haven't given thought toward. It is truly unknown to me, and truly scary. I don't know what to expect. However, the comforting fact that God will be there and will consider me His friend and child will extinguish my fears. Rather, this will cause me to appreciate the greatness of God, who is now greater than ever in my eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting concept; I've never thought of glorification in that way. I'm curious as to what started you down that train of thought? Any scripture, commentary, etc?

Michael Newheart said...

Hey Drea, Actually, it was a sermon by a guy named Sam Storms (he's a Piperesuqe guy who is more charismatic). The sermon is entitled "The Every Increasing Joy of Heaven." Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Unknown said...

Sam Storms is sweeping through right now. . . One might even say he is causing a tornado or hurricane effect...