Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Breaking Down Music to Build Up the Body

Some of my friends and I have difficulty in appreciating the music that we sing together in church. One thing that I have found helpful is to break the music down into two parts. There are many parts to music, but for the average Joe like me (no pun intended) there are but two: the melody/tune and the content. I enjoy a lot of "secular" music because it is beautiful. I can trace that beauty back to God as its origin. This helps me to appreciate God. He gives beautiful music. This could come in many different types of music. But, sometimes I don't really like the tune or the voice of the person singing. However, for some songs I can appreciate the content of the song. The content causes me to think thoughts that build me up. So, at any one time I can appreciate the melody or the content. The best is when both can be appreciated. But, when I don't necessarily agree with the theology, I can be uplifted and thankful because of the tune. And when the tune doesn't seem beautiful for me, I can reflect more upon the theology behind the words of the song. Here is a good example of when both come together. (In my humble opinion)

No comments: